Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Myself at 18 in 1943 ("Gillian Lynne")

In my English 101 class, we started writing a page each about different scenarios involving Gillian Lynne. Gillian Lynne was a girl, where nowadays we would say she has ADD or ADHD, but back in the early 1900's she was just thought to have some type of learning disorder. She was extremely fidgety and could never sit still, so her parents enrolled her in a dancing school. In todays century we would assume take the easy way out and shove a pill down children's throat to make them concentrate, rather than to listen to what they are trying to tell us. I am writing a narrative of myself living with some type of learning disorder, in 1943.
It's funny how today the day doesn't seem nearly as long and boring as it had last week. I don't feel as out of control and troublesome as usual. I feel like I can control my random outbursts and interruptions. I even volunteer to answer questions and read out loud. My teacher has approached me and told me what a joy I was in class to me, the total opposite of what she thought of me a week ago. Each class seems to be going by faster than the previous. I usually enjoy lunch and being able to talk freely with one another, but It's for once not the highlight of my day. Science and Social are a breeze to me, I even feel like I am understanding and getting the material being presented. Math doesn't seem to as dreadful as usual because I know once that bell goes off, I am free. I am free to do what feels as though is my future- to act. My parents told me I had to get involved with something, something to keep me busy that I would enjoy. I never thought about anything like that before. The theater feels like home to me. It gives me something to look forward to. It gives me a commitment other than school. I love it, I really do. My parents have never been happier to see me smiling and enjoying what I do. My attitudes towards school have completely changed. I know I need to concentrate and do well to keep my grades up to keep acting.  I love my parents for this. For the fact that they noticed this and done what was right. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment