Monday, October 17, 2011

"essentialism"

One of our english assignments this week was to read Essentialism and Experience by Bell Hooks. Overall I thought the article was hard to comprehend and I found it confusing.

Throughout the article, the concept of "essentialism" was used numerous times in Hooks arguments against Fuss. By reading and understanding the context in which Bell and Fuss used the word, I am able to form my own definition. To me essentialism means something similar to a guideline of living to a certain group. I don't think essentialism is something that is true rather then it's a stereotype given to certain ethnic groups such as "black feminists." People often think that one group or person is superior to another and they are given privileges.

argument:
"Black women are treated as though we are a box of chocolates presentedto individual white women for their eatingpleasure,so that they can decide for themselves,and others,which pieces are most tasty."

No comments:

Post a Comment